The Haverhill Police Departments Community Police Division uses several common methods of community-policing that include:
- Encouraging the community to help prevent crime by providing advice, giving talks at schools, encouraging neighborhood watch groups, and a variety of other techniques.
- Increased use of foot or cycle patrols.
- Creating teams of officers to carry out community policing in designated neighborhoods.
- Clear communication between the police and the communities about their objectives and strategies.
- Partnerships with other organizations such as government agencies, community members, nonprofit service providers, private businesses and the media.
Some examples of Community Policing activities:
- Coffee with a cop
- Creating and working with neighborhood groups
- National Night Out
- Jr. Police programs
- Department tours
- Touch a truck events
- Crime prevention talks
- Security surveys
- Participating in city events such as:
- Christmas Stroll
- Stuff a Cruiser
- Santa Parade